Today, searching for an elder law attorney is easier than ever. With a simple Google search, you can have the names of countless lawyers in the area. However, just because these legal professionals rank at the top of your search history does not mean they are the right option for you and your needs.
What Does an Elder Law Lawyer Do?
Elder law is a type of law that focuses on older adults and their loved ones and their specific needs. Elder law lawyers often focus on the following:
- Medicaid and Medicare planning
- Estate plans
- Power of attorney for health and medical needs
- Establishing a Trust
- Long-term care planning
- Elder abuse
- Veterans’ benefits
These attorneys are also prepared to help with financial issues, housing plans, certain tax issues, and managing assisted living costs.
How To Find an Elder Law Lawyer?
Typically, the first thing you will want to do when looking for an experienced elder law attorney is create a list of lawyers practicing in your area. Consider the following tips to help with your search:
- Ask for an elder law lawyer referral from a family or friend.
- Ask another attorney you know if they have an elder law attorney recommendation.
- Ask professionals such as financial advisors or accountants if they work with elder law attorneys.
- Search the National Elder Law Foundation to find an elder law attorney in your area.
- Check with local agencies that work with seniors, such as the local bar association, support groups, and hospital or nursing home social workers.
What Should You Consider Before Choosing an Elder Law Attorney?
Once you have created a list of potential candidates, you should do your due diligence and figure out which of these attorneys is the right fit for you and your situation. To get started with this vetting process, check out the following steps:
- Check the State Bar Association and verify that the attorney is licensed and whether they have any disciplinary action on their record.
- Look at the lawyer’s website and learn more about their experience and how long they have been in business.
- Determine if they provide free resources such as articles or blogs.
- Check their reviews to see what other clients think about them.
Once you have narrowed your list, contact your top candidates and schedule a consultation. During this time, you can not only ask the lawyers about their experience and background, but you can also review your situation with them and have them go over the legal options you have and how they can help. Having this one-on-one discussion can usually provide the insight you need to determine whether or not this is the attorney for you.
Contact Losavio & DeJean, LLC Today To Find Out How We Can Help You
If you are looking for further information regarding an elder law lawyer in Louisiana, contact Losavio & DeJean, LLC, The Louisiana Elder Law Firm, today. Our elder law lawyers are here to provide you with the legal services and support you require while assisting you with your unique requirements. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us to see how we can help.